�War is delightful, to the inexperienced.�
- In 1913 German Kaiser Wilhelm II refused to sanction the activation of three new army corps on the grounds that there were insufficient officers of noble blood available for them, and that he would not permit the admission of non-aristocrats into the officer corps in such numbers.
- Only 70 of the 1,500 applicants for admission to the Imperial Japanese Navy�s flight school in late 1937, and only 25 of those actually graduated, including Saburo Sakai, the highest scoring ace to survive the war.
- In 1779, during the American Revolution, the 120 privateers that operated out of Liverpool raiding French commerce totaled 31,183 tons, carried 1,986 guns, and were crewed by 8,754 men and a few women, for an �average� of 259.9 tons, armed with 16.6 guns, and 73.0 crew.
- An autopsy conducted in August of 1999, concluded that President � and former general � Zachary Taylor had not been poisoned by pro-slaveholding elements in 1850.
- The venereal disease hospitalization rate in the British Army during World War I was 29.69 cases per thousand men on duty per year.
- The first operational employment of dogs by the U.S. Army during World War II appears to have been in the Spring of 1943, when a platoon of six scouts and two messengers, with their handlers, was deployed to New Britain.
- Two of the most notable admirals in the mid-seventeenth century were also cavalrymen of some repute, Robert Blake and Prince Rupert of the Rhine, who fought on opposite sides during the English Civil Wars.
- Of 3,384 graduates of West Point between 1802 and 1890, 1,760 � 52.1-percent � served in the Indian Wars, of whom only 50 were killed in action.
- Organized in October of 1922, the 2nd Bandera of the Spanish Foreign Legion had, by the end of the Rif War in mid-1927, lost four commanders killed in action, along with 403 other officers and men.
- During the Falklands War, the Royal Navy discovered that its Sea King helicopters could be �safely� operated between refits at five times the prescribed peace flight time.