"When every one is dead the Great Game is over."
by Rudyard Kipling
- Tofino, a mongrel belonging to one of the Velites of Napoleon’s Italian Guard, marched with the regiment all the way to Russia in 1812, and then, though his master perished, made his way alone back to Milan, arriving in the Spring of 1813, where he remained on duty with the local garrison until his death nearly a decade later.
- In early June of 1921, the already famous Maj. Francisco Franco showed up to take command of the 1st Bandera of the Spanish Foreign Legion¸ sporting broad bottomed sideburns, immediately setting a fashion among his own men, and remains common in the Legion to the present.
- In 1937 the Civil Aeronautics Administration established the “Civilian Pilot Training Program” that by early 1941 had provided some 40,000 college men with introductory flight training that included 30 to 50 hours of actual flight time.
- From the end of World War I in 1918 the British Army did not hold any maneuvers until 1925, and then it only staged brigade exercises.
- While on campaign against Macedon in 145-146 B.C., Quintus Caecilius Metellus was approached by a centurion who said he had a plan to take an enemy fort that would cost the lives of but ten men, to which the general replied, “Would you be one of those ten?”
- From October of 1940 to October of 1942, Col. James T. Moore, U.S.M.C., served as commander of the Peruvian Air Force.
- The battle of Vittoria (June 21, 1813), in which an English army under the Duke of Wellington defeated a usurper to restore the rightful King of Spain to his throne, was fought over virtually the same ground as the Battle of Navarete (April 3, 1367), in which an English army under the Black Prince defeated a usurper to restore the rightful King of Spain to his throne.
- As they marched into Saltillo, Mexico, on November 15, 1847, Maj. Gen. William J. Worth’s troops were astonished to see four young women in American attire waving from the side of the road, who, upon inquiry, informed an officer that they were from New Jersey, and had been hired to supervise the women workers in a local cotton and woolens mill, and requested the band to play "Yankee Doodle."
Portions of "Al
Nofi's CIC" have appeared previously in Military Chronicles,
Copyright © 2115 Military
Chronicles (www.militarychronicles.com), used with permission, all rights