Information Warfare: Not Everyone Was Laughing

Archives

June 6, 2006: The Hizbollah organization in Lebanon, a Shia Arab terrorist group dedicated to the destruction of Israel, and Shia control of Lebanon, is under fire by media attacks from several sides. A Lebanese TV station recently ran a comedy show that made fun of Hizbollah. This caused Hizbollah supporters to demonstrate, block highways and try to enter Christian neighborhoods (it was a Christian owned TV station involved). Police kept the angry Shia Arabs away from the Christian Arabs. But it got worse, as a message from al Qaeda leader Abu Musab al Zarqawi, on the radio, called for the disarmament of Hizbollah. Zarqawi, like most al Qaeda members, consider Shias to be heretics. In Iraq, Zarqawi has had his terrorists deliberately kill Shia whenever possible. Non-Shia Lebanese don't like Hizbollah, but rarely get beyond nasty comments or satire. No one in Lebanon wants another civil war.

Shia Arabs comprise about 35 percent of Lebanese, and have long suffered at the hands of Lebanese non-Shia Moslems, and Christians, who comprise the other 65 percent of the population. Hizbollah arose during the 1975-90 Lebanese civil war, and grew mighty during the 1980s, as Iran was taken over by Shia clerics. Iran then began supplying Hizbollah with weapons, cash and technical advisors. This "foreign interference" has long been resented in Lebanon. But Hizbollah is staffed, and led, by Lebanese Shia. Moreover, Hizbollah has largely restricted its terrorist activities to Israel. However, the name calling and snide remarks could escalate to violence. They often do.

 


Article Archive

Information Warfare: Current 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 


X

ad
0
20

Help Keep Us Soaring

We need your help! Our subscription base has slowly been dwindling. We need your help in reversing that trend. We would like to add 20 new subscribers this month.

Each month we count on your subscriptions or contributions. You can support us in the following ways:

  1. Make sure you spread the word about us. Two ways to do that are to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
  2. Subscribe to our daily newsletter. We’ll send the news to your email box, and you don’t have to come to the site unless you want to read columns or see photos.
  3. You can contribute to the health of StrategyPage. A contribution is not a donation that you can deduct at tax time, but a form of crowdfunding. We store none of your information when you contribute..
Subscribe   Contribute   Close