|Just some thoughts about it.
Had the USN and allied navies need new frigates with enhanced capability, it wouldn't be ridiculous to design a new ship based on OHP design.
With all defficiencies and drawback of OHP, it has the following advantage:
1. It is large enough hull;
2. It has a large helideck compared to other comparable designs;
3. It has TWO MH-60R hangers, complete PITA for any subs;
4. It has a damage control model, no reinventing of the wheel.
Here is the idea:
1. Modify the upper structure and the hull design to be somewhat stealthy;
2. Mk.13 has to go. Replace it with 8x2 or 8x4 Mk.41 VLS with VLASROC capability;
3. No more middle 76mm Oto Melara gun. Move it to the bow. Some structural modification and upper structure redesign is a must;