Search teams have located the stern of a South Korean warship torn apart by a mystery explosion near the border with North Korea, the military said on Monday.
Most of the 46 missing crewmen are thought still trapped inside the stern portion of the hull following Friday's blast, a spokesman for the Joint Chiefs of Staff told AFP.
He said military teams would try to dive later on Monday on the object detected by sonar late on Sunday some 40-50 metres away from where the 1,200-tonne corvette the Cheonan went down.
A total of 58 crewmen were rescued soon after the disaster off Baengnyeong island in the Yellow Sea, but no one else has been found since then despite a major air and sea search
The disputed border area was the scene of deadly naval clashes involving the two Koreas in 1999 and 2002, and of a firefight last November. Seoul officials say there is no evidence so far Pyongyang was involved in Friday's blast.
� 1998 -