|Colts, if you’re still interested in Marine Infantry here’s some info on it.
Despite being bogged down by its role in Iraq as both a Light and Medium Infantry, the Corps’ true role is an Elite Forced Entry/Crisis Response Force.
The Infantry specializes in small company sized quick raids on all terrains/climates. In each BN there are 3 line Companies w/ 3 platoons & a Weapons Co. Some of the Unit Courses you’ll cycle through in a line Co are:
• Amphibious Night Raid Courses: About a 100 man raid course conducted at night in zodiacs launched from about 25 miles from shore. For taking out Compounds, Fortified structures, and Port Seizures.
• Tactical Recovery of Aircraft and Personnel, TRAP Courses: Self explanatory, they usually designate one platoon(plt) per Battalion(BN).
• Assault Climbers Courses: Usually 2 plt per BN. Everyone in the BN learns Cliff Assault but the A/Cs are the lead plts and learn advanced climbing skills while engaging the enemy.
• Combat/Scout Swimmer Courses: 1 Plt per BN. 2 man swimming teams that provide ITG (Initial Terminal Guidance) and recon for the Co. doing the Amp. Night Raid. Very intense Course.
• Long Range(Deep) Helo Raid Course/ & Leaders Course: A course to teach Helo raids as deep as 200-300mi behind enemy lines. The Leaders course is for Cpls & SGTs teaching the plan and execution phase of the LRHR mission.
• Airfield Seizure Courses
• There are too many MOUT Courses to name
Some of the Individual courses available for Line Marines are:
• MSPF Precision Shooting
• Mountain Leader
• Jungle Leader
• Designated Marksman Course: Similar to S/S but without as much emphasis on stalking and Camo, but it is taught. W/more emphasis on rapid precision shooting.
If you go BN Recon or to “STA”(Surveillance Target Acquisition) Plt these are available in your 1st 4yrs b4 even thinking about trying for Force, plus all the Courses from above.
• Scout/Sniper Basic & Advanced Courses: The Marine Corps has the best sniper programs in the DOD. If you want to try out for a “STA” Plt then there is a 4wk Pre-Sniper and 6mth eval prior to S/S Basic.
• Urban Sniper/ DM Courses: Self Explanatory but it includes things like firing from helo platform & rapid fire sniping into crowded areas.
• Mountain/Jungle Sniper
• Basic Reconnaissance Course: Recon patrolling, special In/Exerts, demolition, beach recon/survey.
• Amphibious Recon Course
• Urban Reconnaissance and Surveillance Courses
• Dynamic Entry: For Recon, EOD, and Com. Eng.
• HRST,SPIE, Helo Cast Courses
• Combat Dive School
• Airborne School
• Tracker Course
Like I said earlier all of these Courses are available in your first couple of yrs in an Inf BN in a Line Co and the others are for BN Recon and STA. As far as travel and action there’s always 2-12wk training missions in Norway, Bolivia, Korea, WATC in W Africa, Unitas is about 9 countries in S & Cent America, Philippines, Australia, & even Mongolia just to name a few. Then there’s the MEU(SOC) where they often run real world missions all over the world. So it’s a lot of opportunity. I didn’t get the chance to go to an Inf BN I went straight to Small Craft but I still went to 8 countries training & on actual missions.