|No I'm not hunting wherewolves, nore am I the Lone Ranger. What I am thinking about is the special capabilities that would allow Australia to deter attack, protect its interests and when necessary not only punch above its weight but to be able to do so much real damage to an aggressor that they will be begging the UN to broker a peace deal.
One of those capabilities is the SAS but that is probably about it these days. The F/A-18G (if we convert the 12 wired up F's) will be, as will Wedgetail (if it ever works), however I doubt the F-35 will be. This is not because there is anything wrong with it but because the US and LM are actively marketing it to every man and his dog, pretty much like they did with the F-16, ensuring that we will gain no qualitive advantage from our purchase.
What would make good silver bullets for Australia? What capabilities / Equipment would give us such an edge that it doesn't matter how badly we are out numbered, would prevent an aggressor from reaching us, would make a beligerant party back down if they knew we were coming?
A coulpe of ideas I have had or recycled:
1. Submarine launched TLACM and an increased number of submarines to launch them.
2. ALCM and a long range platform to launch them (surplus B-1B's?)and the strike package to get the launchers through to target.
3. An air supremacy fighter (1 or 2 sqn's)
4. A robust CAS type.
5. A proper heavy brigade with modern networked equipment able to maintain one full battle group and one re enforced combat team on deployment.
6. A light infantry brigade able to maintain a re enforced battle group and 3 re enforced combat teams on deployment.
Where necessary we should develop hardened high capability platforms to make up for lack of numbers through individual quality. Instead of going lighter or cheaper we should go heavier and harder, even if it is more expensive. Aim for qualative overmatch at every level to provide localsuperiority at every occassion.
Look at every level and see what we could do to give our guys the edge. i.e the rifle section, replace the F-89's in the fire teams with an AR (with scope) and a LMG of some type while embeding a GPMG (7.62),a grenadier and a sniper / marksman in a support team in each section.
Let the ideas roll.