How about I start with this list:
(This list is not a list of what I would cancel, but a list of what projects I think would be at risk ...)
1) Self Propelled Guns, getting the lightweight, shorter ranged, and unprotected M-777s with Excalibur but no SPGs
2) Fewer and later F-35 JSFs, de risked and justified by the F/A-18F purchase
3) No replacement for cancelled I-View TUAVs
4) No direct replacement for Caribous, instead arguing that the MRHs would allow the CH-47s and the C-17s would allow the C-130Js to replace what the Caribous did
5) Cancelling the re raising of 8/9RAR, arguing that "at least we are getting a separate 7RAR"
6) Cancelling the third amphibious/RORO ship
7) Forgetting about a fourth AWD
8) Upgrading/ASMDing/CEFARing only some of the ANZACs, leaving the others basically as "patrol frigates"
They'd want to be quick if they want to 'cancel' 8/9RAR. 8/9RAR already has over 200 soldiers, and their own vehicles and equipment etc. By early next year there will be a deployable company group capability, with a full deployable battlegroup capability by 2011. In reality it's pretty much too late to stop it being re-raised - it would take a lot of political balls to lay the colours back up after only 6 months.
There's no point cancelling the M113 upgrade either. Theres already a couple of companys worth that have been delivered, with lots more coming through the production line. All the money has alredy been spent - cancelling now would just be throwing out the baby with the bath water.
n. A regular ARA Cavalry regiment and put their ASLAV's into storage. As has been pointed out before on this board we don't need two force recon regiments so it would be a reasonable economy measure. We could then split the remaining regiment into independent squadrons between the ARA Brigades.
I know this is only because of your weird personal prejudice against wheeled AFVs, but why? Army wants a third ASLAV regiment in Townsville - for what possible reason would you disband one? The money has already been spend on all those ASLAVs and the training and equipment for 2.5 cavalry regiments. Disbanding them would save a pittance while taking away a significant slice of army combat power. It is silly.
� 1998 -