Military History | How To Make War | Wars Around the World Rules of Use How to Behave on an Internet Forum
India Discussion Board
   Return to Topic Page
Subject: Terrorist VOIP Calls Detail Mumbai Attack
Softwar    1/7/2009 9:36:57 AM Dossier: handlers used virtual number to contact a mobile with one of the terrorists Siddharth Varadarajan New Delhi: Amidst the clutter of telephone calls the Indian intelligence agencies were monitoring into and out of the Taj Mahal hotel on the night of the November 26 terrorist attack was one from a 'virtual number' - 12012531824 - generated by a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephony service based in the United States. According to the dossier prepared by the Indian government outlining select details of what investigators have uncovered so far about last November's Mumbai attacks, Pakistan-based "controllers/handlers used the virtual number to contact a mobile telephone with one of the terrorists. This conversation was intercepted and, thereafter, all calls made through the virtual number were also intercepted and recorded." Providing the first-ever details of the investigations into the VoIP account, the dossier says the virtual number was initially set up with a U.S. company, Callphonex, by an individual who identified himself as Kharak Singh from India. The account was activated by a money gram transferred in the name of Mohammed Ashfaq. "Kharak Singh also requested Callphonex to assign five Austrian Direct Inward Dialling (DID) numbers because his clients called from different countries, including India," the dossier says. The account was paid for by a money transfer of $238.78 through Western Union by one Javaid Iqbal who provided, as a form of identification, a Pakistani passport (No. KC 092481). The dossier adds: "Investigations have revealed that Callphonex asked Kharak Singh if he was from India why the Western Union Transfer was coming from Pakistan. No reply Apparently, Callphonex received no reply. The VoIP interceptions yielded more evidence to Indian agencies as they revealed the use of three Austrian numbers "which were given to the terrorists by the controllers/handlers and conversations with these numbers by the terrorists were also intercepted and recorded," the dossier notes. These Austrian numbers, in turn, correspond to the DID numbers assigned by Callphonex to 'Kharak Singh.' The details of the VoIP account are one of multiple pieces of evidence the Indian government has laid out before Pakistan and all Delhi-based foreign envoys to prove its claim that the attacks on Mumbai were staged by elements from Pakistan. Several ambassadors who were present at the region-wise briefings at the Ministry of External Affairs on Monday and Tuesday told The Hindu that they found the Indian dossier compelling. "It is fully in line with our own belief of how this incident was planned," said one of the envoys from the group of 14 countries who lost citizens in the attacks. In their oral presentations, Indian officials told the envoys of their belief that the ISI was indeed involved in the incident. Though this claim was not contested, at least one nation, the United States, has told India it is still not in a position to share this perception. One of the transcripts contained in the dossier provides the answer to why the terrorists left their satellite phone behind on the Kuber with potentially incriminating data. "Did you open the locks for the water below," a caller from Pakistan asked one of the terrorists at the Taj Hotel at 0126 hours on November 27, presumably in a reference to a pre-arranged plan to sink the trawler. "No, they did not open the locks. We left it like that because of being in a hurry. We made a big mistake," the receiver of the phone call answered. "What big mistake?," he was asked. "When we were getting into the boat, the waves were quite high. Another boat came. Everyone raised an alarm that the Navy had come. Everyone jumped quickly. In this confusion, the satellite phone of Ismail got left behind," the terrorist replied. The dossier also notes in passing that the GPS set contained trackback points which "were the RV for their intended return after the attack." At Monday's briefing for the 14 nations who lost citizens in the attack, one of the ambassadors asked Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon whether this meant the attack was perhaps not a suicide mission after all. Mr. Menon reportedly said that this was one of the issues which still needed to be probed. The dossier also contains a second section in which India has attempted to draw attention to the contradictory nature of Pakistan's response to the Mumbai attacks, Pakistan's failure to respond appropriately to Indian requests for cooperation when evidence was provided to it about terrorist acts in the past, and an outline of Pakistan's bilateral and international commitments and obligations. The last section of the dossier contains an outline of what India expects Pakistan to do in the wake of the Mumbai attacks. "This was a conspiracy launche
Quote    Reply

Show Only Poster Name and Title     Newest to Oldest